April 26, 2007

Couture undeterred by Gonzaga

During an interview on Sherdog's Beatdown radio show, Randy "The Natural" Couture talks about taking on Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74 and whether a fighter as big as Gonzaga reminiscent of Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez would be problematic for Captain America:

"Those were big guys that gave me problems. And I said then that yeah those styles at that time in my career were issues for me. I did well against strikers and more pure strikers, and both those guys were very very good grapplers and I found myself underneath a much bigger opponent with a good grappling base and that's gonna be a long night for a lot of people, myself included. I think I have technique and ability now that I didn't possess then to survive and not be stuck underneath, even a guy with Gonzaga's grappling ability and I'm gonna fight tooth and nail not to end up there first and foremost. That's really the last place I wanna be underneath a 245 pound Gonzaga with a good ground and pound skill and a good grappling base. And I'm sure that he'll go back and look at those tapes and think that's where he wants to put me. I have to use my mobility again against a bigger fighter and find angles and vary my attack so he's not sure whether I'm throwing striking or throwing a shot cause I know he's gonna be worried about me putting him on the ground as well which he didn't have to worry about with Mirko."

No comments: